How To Save Gmail Attachments in Android

The Gmail app for Android is quite simply awesome, especially if you are on FroYo and above. However, it does have one major limitation. Possibly due to security concerns, Google doesn’t allow you to save Gmail attachments. You can preview attachments you receive in your mail; however, there is no way to save them. Unsurprisingly, however, there are quite a few third party apps that can help you squirt around this restriction.

The Android app that I use to save my Gmail attachments is Save my Attach. It’s a tiny app that requires zero-configuration, and works beautifully. After you have installed this app, just tap the preview button as usual. A dialogue box will pop up asking you to choose an app to preview the file with. Select Save my Attach from the list, and you will be able to download the attachment.

Save-Gmail-Attachment
Select “Save my Attach” from the Preview Options List

Save-Gmail-Attachment-Android
Save File to Desired Location

Another similar app is GSaver. The benefit of GSaver is that it allows you to easily browse your entire file system (even system folders, if you have a rooted system), and save the file at any desired location. Save my Attach lacks a browse option, and the user has to key in the download path. However, GSaver is ad-supported, with a premium ad-free version also being available.

Download All Files is the final option that I would recommend. It’s the most feature-packed app of the lot. Yes, it can download Gmail attachments, but it can also bypass the download restrictions present in the default Android browser. Download All Files can download APK, RAR, ZIP, EXE, MP3, DOC (Word), XLS (Excel) and other files that you weren’t previously allowed to download from the web browser. It also works with the default Android email app and Touchdown. Download All Files is an ad-supported app.

, , , ,

22 Responses to How To Save Gmail Attachments in Android

1. ottawa web design April 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Thanks Man. I am looking always for gmail attachments in android. This article is excellent.

2. sell textbooks April 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know you could do that. But with all the hype about Google Data mining our emails I think I am going to just make it a spam account and never look at it again. Its too bad they are really messing with with it this much.

3. Gazz April 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Very useful information for gmail, thanks.

4. Sathya April 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

Brilliant, this was driving me nuts and I had resorted to using the Basic HTML version on the browser to save downloads :|

5. Download ZooZoo Ads April 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

thanks for sharing. good tutorial and useful one.

6. android app development June 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I went to http://www.gmail.com in the droid browser and it opened mail.google.com and I didn’t see anywhere to add an attachment.. Am I doing something wrong?

• Pallab De June 11, 2011 at 9:06 am #

Don’t use the browser, use the gmail app.

7. Web Design LA June 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

“GSaver” is a nice feature.Can you kindly let me know how many gmail account i can attache ?

8. Shaunak De June 11, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Handy bit of information.

This is one thing I love about the droid – if it lacks some functionality, you will always find an app to implement it.

• Alan Smith December 26, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Yes, that’s the thing which makes android more powerful and lovable phone for most of the people including me.

9. purchase settlements June 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

thanks for the info I have just got my android and it is harder to figure out than I thought. I think I will actually have to read the manual a bit.

10. vizio xvt323sv June 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

fantastic info thanks I was wondering how you can do this thanks

11. Tablet Android August 5, 2011 at 2:25 am #

Very useful information for gmail, thanks.

12. Web Design Resource September 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

Improvement is a important part of android, so features are introduced :)

13. Web Design Resource October 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Clear and quite impressive features. I shared within my network. Thanks for posting :)

• Alan Smith March 5, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Really, Android is improving with useful features that’s a nice thing about it.

14. daniel January 10, 2012 at 12:24 am #

ok but how do i view it now? I preview it and saved it and also downloaded it. It says it’s put it in my download folder, but i can’t find it.

15. p90x January 10, 2012 at 4:24 am #

I wasn’t even sure it was possible to save attachments. Thanks for the info.

- Robert

16. Bestvaluecopy March 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

GSaver is good android app for save attached files. I will download it in my android phone.

17. Kevan April 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

This is totally what i needed! Just ran into this problem on my transformer prime, kinda frustrating. Gonna download Gsaver now. Thanks.

18. emobile_developer July 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

These three are really excellent solution for saving Gmail attachments in Android. I would like go with the final recommentded one ‘Download All Files’. This is really great and enable to quickly download all attached files at one time using its new download all option and offering the best image preview convenience in standard format without downloading. Thanks for helpful share.

1. Saving Gmail Attachments in Android : Sathya Says - April 24, 2011

[...] to basic HTML view & then proceed to save it. Yeesh. What a pain.  Below tip works well. How To Save Gmail Attachments in Android | Pallab dot Net. Save my Attach [...] a tiny app that requires zero-configuration, and works beautifully. After you [...]

More in Mobile, Tips and Tricks (8 of 51 articles)