Daum PotPlayer: The New Champion of Video Players

There are a lot of video players in the market, and even more importantly, there are a lot of really good video players in the market. In the past I have reviewed a few of them like SPlayer and Neuview Media Player. VLC and MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) are probably the most popular media players among the internet savvy users. However, my long-time favourite has been KMPlayer. It’s feature packed, easy to use and provides great video and audio quality out of the box. Unfortunately, since its sale to Pandora.TV, the development of KMPlayer has stalled. On top of that, the recent version of KMPlayer takes ages to startup and has severe performance issues with HD videos. After looking around for an equally powerful alternative, I have settled on Daum PotPlayer, and guess what? It’s from the same guy who made The KMPlayer.

PotPlayer-Interface
PotPlayer Interface

Looks wise, PotPlayer is not too shabby but won’t blow you out of the park either. The good thing is that there are scores of skins available for PotPlayer. In fact, Windows Media Player, VLC, KMPlayer, GOMPlayer and Zoom payer skins are available out of the box. Here’s the default English skin.

If you have used KMPlayer before you will instantly recognise the similarities between the two. All the features I loved in KMPlayer including its ability to resume playback from where I left off last time, shutdown the computer when done, use my own decoders/filters, capture a screenshot or even record the file currently being played, powerful A-B repeat, automatic playback of similar files in a folder, seamless playback (move from one file to the next seamlessly), and insane amount of flexibility with subtitles.

PotPlayer is KMPlayer enhanced, without any of the annoying performance and playback issues I was experiencing with the latter. As you might expect, it comes with internal decoders that are capable of playing pretty much anything that you throw at it. It has internal DXVA video codecs (H.264/AVC, VC-1, MPEG2) and EVR. The default video quality is same as KMPlayer, which means very very good.

PotPlayer-Interface
PotPlayer Video Processing Options

PotPlayer is highly recommended for both novice users and pros. It works well of the box, and has an interface that is simple to use. However, if you want to dig deep you can do so. Advanced users can knock themselves out by using their own filters and decoders, tweaking advanced video processing settings and more. The beta version I tested had a bug, which led to video playback settings not being saved. Other than that I didn’t find much to complain about. Unlike the KMPlayer, PotPlayer is under active development, and should only get better in subsequent versions.

Download Daum PotPlayer (12.19 MB)
Platforms Supported: Windows XP, Vista and 7(x86 and x64)
License: Freeware
Version Reviewed: 1.5 (build 25819) – beta

, , , , , , ,

52 Responses to Daum PotPlayer: The New Champion of Video Players

1. Rohit Batra December 1, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

it looks like a nice player…will try it…Thanks for sharing…

your site is looking nice n clean in this new theme… :)

• Pallab De December 1, 2010 at 11:46 pm #

Thanks Rohit. And please do try PotPlayer. It’s really impressive.

2. cheap flights pakistan December 3, 2010 at 12:08 am #

i like the VLC players its probably the best player out there when it comes to functionality.

• Pallab De December 3, 2010 at 2:20 am #

Don’t quite agree with that. In a lot of respects VLC is a lot more rigid and limited when compared with KMP or PotPlayer.

3. used tires December 5, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

I’ve been using VLC media player for the past 3 years, will definitely give this player a try per your recommendation!

-Jean

4. Ed Mill December 7, 2010 at 2:39 am #

VLC player is better in Win7 than in WinXp because Win7 is much better at data transfer. But CPU Usage of MPC-Home Cinema is three times less than VLC player when playing HD Matroska files.

• used tires December 20, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

@ED, I am still on Windows XP, your comment makes me want to go and switch to 7 as soon as possible!!!!

-Jean

5. Cosme F December 7, 2010 at 11:11 am #

I downloaded PotPlayer, after the installation it told me that my directx wasn’t updated. Right now I’m downloading directx_Jun2010_redist.exe from microsoft, but why do I need it? I tried to open some files (avi, rmvb, mp4) and had no problem opening them.

• kamlesh December 27, 2010 at 6:07 am #

6. Jasmine December 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm #

VLC has been my favorite for a long time. But now, I guess I have to give PotPlayer a try!

• sell textbooks December 30, 2010 at 12:11 am #

did you have any problems with the codecs? It was my favorite too but with Potplayer I don’t need them.

• Jasmine January 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

So far so good, no problems with the codec. :)

• Jasmine February 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

But when playing some videos in VLC, somethings if you drag the play marker, the program will crash.

7. kamlesh December 27, 2010 at 6:05 am #

ita a great player……..i love THE KM PLAYER….but its some what buggy……so finally POT PLAYER is the best player now………………….VLC lacks many advance features present in THE KM PLAYER and POT PLAYER……………….@Cosme F DIRECTX9 FILES ARE REQUIRED FOR GPU ACCELERATION AND OTHER SUPPORT IN WINDOWS VISTA AND WIN7…………..

8. sell textbooks December 30, 2010 at 12:09 am #

That is a great alternative. I used to use VLC but I had problems with some of the codecs.

9. Printing solutions January 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

10. Printing solutions January 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

11. p90x January 17, 2011 at 9:54 am #

VLC player usually does the trick for me. When they said it plays almost all media formats it is no lie. PotPlayer looks like something worth trying to be sure. I love the variety in skins available as well. I will definitely give it a go soon.

– Robert

12. iPhone 5 January 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

its really great player i download and start using it………….its comes on 2 place……….

13. Printing solutions January 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

I have installed Ubuntu (Ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64) in my laptop. At the start up it open with sound like windows, but i am unable to listen songs or watch videos. I want to know that how its music player and video player works?

14. webtechlife January 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

It’s look like a nice device, but PotPlayer is better than VLC Player……….

• Jasmine February 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Yeah, seems like I have to give Potplayer a try! VLC crashes on quite a few videos.

• Komodo Dragon February 10, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Have you tried updating VLC to the latest version? The one they released a couple weeks back is quite stable.

15. p90x February 2, 2011 at 1:48 am #

I have had a little trouble with VLC and gave PotPlayer a try and am definitely hooked. So I would have to agree with you now.

– Robert

16. Jedor February 3, 2011 at 3:50 am #

I’ve been a KMPlayer user for a long time and a VLC “hater” equally as long. Like many others I’ve experienced problems playing HD and some mkv-files with KMP so I discovered this player and thought all my problems were solved as it looks great. Unfortunately I’ve discovered that it has problems playing edited mkv-files. I’m watching a lot of basketball games where the commercials are edited out and in some of these cuts Potplayer continues to run the audio and not the video so I have to manually fastforward a second or two. Another and more annoying problem is that the video becomes jerky after some edit points. The solution here is to shut the player down and restart from where you were. Extremely annoying when in middle of a game. I’m running this player on a Win XP 64bit system, maybe that’s a problem? Too bad anyway as this is a great player otherwise.

Btw, are there other issues with this player as I’ve seen that a lot of DL-links are shut down?

17. Jedor February 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

The more you use this one the crappier you realize it is. Tried playing an mp4-file with 5.1-audio – no audio… Great!

18. Dodge Neon SRT4 February 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

This is an excellent Post. I tried playing an mp4 file with 5.1 Audio. It is really great.

19. Web Design LA February 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

It is really a good player. I tried it and its video clarity is awesome and sound clarity is also good. Its impressive.

20. Printing solutions February 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

I am using Winamp. I want to substitute it with some other good audio and video player. Please recommend me which one is good. For video player i use Vlc. Is there anything better than that.

• Jasmine February 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Winamp?… That’s quite a legacy MP3 player. :)

21. event lighting rental February 10, 2011 at 12:12 am #

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

• Dodge Neon SRT4 February 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Yes, i agree with you. This is indeed, a nice post.

22. SEO Taster February 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

VLC has been my favorite for a long time.

• Komodo Dragon February 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

Yes, it seems like VLC are able to play a lot of popular formats without needing any separate codec locating and downloads. It’s ease of use and simplicity are also some of its most important aspects.

23. Computer Virus February 17, 2011 at 11:17 am #

PotPlayer bu araçdan pek ho?lanm?yor..Vista ve 7 için çözüm, “remove the lock-ups when opening files” ayar? i?aretlenmez se sorun çözülür..(PotPlayer setup bu ayar? otomatik yapar!) Ancak XP de bu ayar i?e yaram?yor.. Thanks…

24. Salvo February 23, 2011 at 4:12 am #

The PotPlayer is the best player ever,
    i was a vlc’s supporter…i still respect vlc…
    but believe me people, The PotPlayer is amazing.

give it a try

25. Computer Virus March 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm #

Are there any other ways than trying to read the source code? Or can someone help me find it from the source codes? Thanks…..

26. Printing solutions March 3, 2011 at 9:53 am #

I want a cheap Mp3 and video player that looks sleek yet is cheaper than Ipod. And Does anybody know if you can integrate things like the Zune with itunes?Thnaks

27. Printing solutions March 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

I have some videos that wmp can’t play. What should i switch to?What video players are better than windows media player.

28. Gazz April 19, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

looks like a cool video player, thanks.

29. Caroline April 24, 2011 at 2:31 am #

Excellent video player, thanks.

30. Gourav May 12, 2011 at 4:52 am #

This one’s very good. I tried it just a few days back and found that not only is it more stable than KM, but the picture quality is also much better. The pictures appeared blurred and washed out in KM when compared to this.

31. Jasmine May 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Wow, PotPlayer looks really good. I am using GOMPlayer now which is OK, but I am going to download and try out PotPlayer!

32. Web Design LA May 31, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

“Daum PotPlayer” from the same guy who made “The KMPlayer” ! it’s nice,defiantly i will use this player .

33. vizio xvt323sv June 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Fantastic player I will definately get myself 1 of these players

34. marinus August 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

PotPlayer is nice- seems to choke less on dicey clips. I like the red/green balance that it makes easier than KMP’s.
    But it’s got the same damned !$%^ing Next problem… it often doesn’t work. “Automatic playback of whole folders”? Well, congrats, i envy you. But since this problem has persisted on different machines, i somehow think that others may experience it…
    With no manual, such apparent quibbles are a lot more serious than they look too.

35. Web Design Resource September 6, 2011 at 11:37 am #

I will give it a try, hope i will enjoy HD quality with some enjoyment,

36. soultanson October 31, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Daum PotPlayer: The New Champion of Video Players

!!! I agree !!!
    I install it and plays everything until BD structure!!!
    And with Stereoscopic selection in Subtitles menu, plays 3D Half-SBS in my 3D TV with correct subs!!!

Many thanks to development team.

37. Taimur Ejaz February 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Thanks for sharing such an informative post. I found the PlotPlayer the best player ever.

38. Alan Smith February 27, 2012 at 11:28 am #

From here only at very first time I’ve heard about this port player which has good qualities for becoming good video player for video lovers as well as other people also.

39. marinus March 16, 2012 at 2:18 am #

Yeah, it’s great, probably the best. But best isn’t perfect.
    “Play Next File” usually doesn’t work [arg!], shuffle neither [why oh why no instant shuffle hotkey, like Irfanview has!?], or one for Next, for that matter].
    And video processing [sharpen, etc.] sometimes works on some types of files, but not others [currently i can tweak playback of .vob’s, .mpg’s, and .wmv’s, but not .avi’s. Tomorrow…?
    WarpSharp is utterly useless by the way: just adds a blotchy watercolor effect, and basic Sharpen seems weak too [in that respect KMP is still better!]
    but PotPlayer really is the best mix of usability and features! I’m just emphasizing the ungreat parts because nobody else seems to be doing so.

XP system owner

40. purchase settlements July 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Great article thanks for the info.

More in Software (8 of 156 articles)