Antivirus Shootout – Kaspersky, Norton and Panda Tops The Charts [Aug ’10]

Antivirus-Shootout

Earlier this week, AVTest.org published the results of their latest antivirus shootout, performed during April, May and June 2010. The last time I looked at one of these antivirus shootouts was in 2009. Since then a lot has changed, but a lot has also remained the same.

Avira was once again outstanding in detecting malwares in AVTest’s reference set, as well as “in the wild” malwares. However, as expected, it fumbled in the dynamic detection test (blocking of malwares on or post infection), where it succeeded on only 38% of the test cases. Surprisingly enough, Avira proved itself to be efficient in repairing a system. Nevertheless, in my personal experience, I have found that Avira tends to prefer deleting infected objects rather than recovering them. Obviously that isn’t exactly the preferable way of approaching system recovery. Avira also continued to be amongst the lightest security products, with very little adverse impact on system performance.

Norton and Kaspersky, which were found to be the most effective in 2009, also continued their impressive showing. Norton aced the 0-day (new) malware detection test, while Kaspersky performed better with the reference set. Kaspersky also had the upper hand in the repair tests, a testament to its sophisticated engine.

For me the real surprise was Panda, which proved itself to be lighter than both Kaspersky and Norton, and also performed commendably in detection and repair tests.

One of the crowd favourites, Microsoft Security Essentials, also performed fairly well. It returned solid results in all of the tests, without being outstanding in any of them. However, MSE turned out to be heavier than the aforementioned security suites.

McAfee (poor repair), Trend Micro (poor detection), BullGuard (poor detection), and Norman (poor detection) were the only products that failed to receive certifications. Detailed reports on each of the antivirus products is available here. Kaspersky, Norton and Panda were the best overall performers. You can pick any one of them based on your preference and also local prices. Indian users looking for top-notch protection should definitely take a look at Kaspersky considering its low cost in India. If you don’t want to pay for premium protection, Microsoft Security Essentials and Avira are still the best options.

, , , , , , ,

32 Responses to Antivirus Shootout – Kaspersky, Norton and Panda Tops The Charts [Aug ’10]

1. Shaunak De August 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm #

Well, its still going to be Avast for me. (and my recommendation to others as well) Especially since the new UI.

2. used tires August 25, 2010 at 5:13 am #

Great to see Kaspersky doing so well, Kaspersky is the Anti-virus program I’ve been using since 2007! Absolutely love them!

Till then,

Jean

3. Udegbunam Chukwudi August 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

I’m sticking with my Avira ’cause I hate it when my system slows down and with Avira that just doesn’t happen @ all 😉

4. e-mail lookup September 11, 2010 at 3:33 am #

I like the Norton antivirus the most, because it does its job really nice without bothering you with annoying warning messages that are fake, unlike many other antivirus softwares on the market…

5. used tires September 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm #

@e-mail lookup, But isn’t Norton slow? At least the last time I used Norton it felt way too slow compared to Kaspersky. By this I mean it slowed down my pc alot.

Till then,

Jean

6. e-mail lookup September 13, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

@Jean,

No, it depends on the version of the software. I use NAV 2003! I know it’s old, but it does still update the database and it’s very effective. On the other hand, it doesn’t consume too much cpu resources compared to new versions…

7. Saket September 15, 2010 at 6:48 pm #

Seeing AVG on top of the list is surprising.. haven’t heard much about it since long. I have been using MSE since long. Looks like i will have to try AVG, G Data and Panda AVs.

8. Computer Tips Tricks September 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

There must be competition among these companies, but Trend Micro really shouldn’t be listed anywhere else. I’ve tested it personally and it truly sucks (sorry for using this word), in any functionalities such as the very poor malware detection, eating excessive memories, etc.

9. konya rent a car September 24, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

Im using ESET NOD 32. But I think its big problem for my old computer? Which one is the best for older computers?

10. used tires September 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

@email thanks for the feedback, I guess after one or two bad experiences with Norton, I’ve sort of been biased ever since, I guess I should learn to try new/old things again 😉

Till then,

Jean

11. Sourish @ Jailbreak Iphone 4 October 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

my vaio laptp came with pre installed MS security essential , so i had no chance to using any other AV …

Sourish

12. michelle @ boat banner October 5, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

I am more on free trials anti virus because i am not that rich to afford premium products,.my question is that,.are free trial with crack that are been install in a pc is as same as the original product?

• Pallab De October 5, 2010 at 10:24 pm #

If the crack is not malicious and proper, then yes.

• Sourish @ Jailbreak Iphone 4 October 5, 2010 at 11:16 pm #

avpid crack , use linux if you cannof software for PC . Ubuntu is good enough. And they deliver free cds at your door step … its better not to use cracked antivirus. NOthing sucks more than that . use avast instead , its free for windows ..

13. Essay October 9, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

I like Kaspersky because it is light and fast. Norton is good as well but it slows down the system.

14. DJ ARIF October 11, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

Brother! Which Is The Best One? Avira Or Kaspersky? {2011 Edition}

• Udegbunam Chukwudi October 11, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

If you love a fast system, I suggest you stick with Avira. It doesn’t hog memory like Kaspersky does but if you’ve got loads of ram, you can go for Kaspersky.

• used tires October 12, 2010 at 12:07 am #

@Udegbunam Chukwudi, for me Kaspersky doesn’t hog up memory at all. I do have 2 GB of Ram though… but these days I wouldn’t consider that alot. How much ram you are talking about?

Till then,

Jean

• Udegbunam Chukwudi October 12, 2010 at 1:38 am #

2GB of ram is okay though it still depends on how many programs run by default each time you boot your computer.

15. Sourish @ Jailbreak Iphone 4 October 11, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

every genuine windows comes with MS essential … for me its doing good till now

16. Essay October 12, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

Windows does not come with any antivirus. We need to purchase it separately.

17. Web Design LA October 13, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

I use avast. Its really very good and detects and deletes all my virus at a time.

18. siddharth November 1, 2010 at 1:28 am #

I love MSE but i also want to say that where is Bitdefender .It has the same detection rate as kaspersky and it also has peak positions over the website http://www.toptenreviews.com.

I have tested Kaspersky and norton both
    but i like kaspersky as Norton is a RAM sucker.slows down my pc.
    but kaspersky somewhat disappoint me as it always detect new virus in one of my drive(when rest of the av’s shows clean result)but it fails to remove it just pop up everytime and failed to even delete it.I have tried everything but nothing happens.Then i have tried bitdefender 2011 ,it is a great product and it also has a very high detection rate and it has link scanner which is now integrated with every browser not only with internet explorer.
    this feature is not available yet in any antivirus.

19. Sourish @ Jailbreak Iphone 4 November 1, 2010 at 10:48 am #

There is no good future of AV’s anymore . OS nowadays are far more secure and restricitive and hence fewer chances of getting attacked .

• Pallab De November 1, 2010 at 10:57 am #

If you stay in a hostel and don’t have a decent AV your system will be screwed within a couple of days.
      And UAC is by an large ineffective against malwares.

20. Rohit | Ipod Touch 4G November 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

i personally prefer MS Security Essentials..as it can remove those virus which are not removed even by formatting..but still i am using Avast as i do not have a Legit copy of Windows..

21. Jasmine November 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Norton slows down a computer noticeably. I have been using the free Avast for quite sometime now, it works pretty well actually.

22. antivirushero March 9, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Your nice blog is certainly worth a read if anyone results in it. Im lucky i did so because now Ive got a wide new view of the following. I didnt realise that your issue was so important thus universal. You definitely put it in perspective for everyone, thanks for the fantatic information.

23. Antivirus Reviews April 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

There is no doubt that MSE is one of the best free security utilities for Windows 7. But let’s be honest, it is not a premium solution.

24. purchase settlements September 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I am using Avast these days

25. emobile_developer August 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I have been using Avast from many times and i must say that it is really an amazing and helps me to keep my PC free from malware and offer the best internet security. Browser protection in Avast 7.0 is really a wonderful feature and i most like it. It also offers other best security level features and highly emphasize on the safety of computer.

More in Featured Post, Security (10 of 84 articles)