How To Recover/Reset Windows XP/Vista/7 Password

Windows-7 Did you just set a new Windows XP/Vista/7 user account password and can’t remember it for the love of god? You have come to the right place. Although, recovering or resetting a Windows user account password is a bit tricky, it is entirely possible. Don’t be fooled into paying for something like this. Here are three free and straight forward techniques to recover your Windows XP/Vista/7 password.

Arrow Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor is a live Linux distribution, which can be used to reset your Windows user account password. Here is what you need to do:

Circle Download and burn the ISO image to create a bootable media (CD/DVD).
Circle Boot from the media created in the previous step. Once you have successfully booted, you will be asked to select the appropriate Windows installation. Do so.
Circle Now you will be prompted to enter the registry location. Press Enter to select the default value.
Circle Pick option 1, which is to reset the password.
Circle Select the user account you are interested in. Simply hitting Enter will select the Administrator account.
Circle Select option 1 to just set a blank password. Option 2 is not recommended since it has a lower success rate.
Circle Save changes (option 1) and restart to boot into Windows.

A more detailed walkthrough is available here.

Download Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (3.6 MB)
License: Freeware (Open Source)
Operating System: Windows 7, Vista, XP

Arrow Trinity Rescue Kit

Trinity Rescue Kit is also a Linux distro. It packs in several additional features, but the password reset tool, which we are concerned with, works in a similar manner to Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. Type winpass -u Administrator in the terminal to begin the process. Replace Administrator with the user account you are interested in. If you get stuck, refer to the video guide prepared by WalkerNews.

Download Trinity Rescue Kit (118.7 MB)
License: Freeware (Open Source)
Operating System: Windows 7, Vista, XP

Arrow Windows 7 Installation Disc

If you don’t want to use a 3rd party tool, you can also reset your password using the Windows 7 installation disc. However, you will need to do a fair bit of manual registry editing. If that’s not a problem for you, head over to the Seven Forums password reset guide.

, , , , ,

22 Responses to How To Recover/Reset Windows XP/Vista/7 Password

1. blinkky August 2, 2010 at 12:16 am #

Sometimes, I just can’t remember the password =)

2. ldz August 2, 2010 at 11:47 am #

Usually, we can reset Windows admin password in two traditional ways. The first is to change Windows password with another admin account; the second is to recover the previous password with the windows password reset disk that had been created before you forgot the password. Take Windows XP for example, At the Windows XP login prompt when the password is entered incorrectly click the reset button in the login failed window. Insert the password reset diskette into the computer and click Next. If the correct diskette Windows XP will open a window prompting for the new password you wish to use.
    However, we offen ignore the important of security until we have been locked out of computer. Fortunately, there is still the last way that can unlock your computer without reinstalling – erase Windows password with Windows password reset CD, which can recover admin password for Windows 7/XP/Vista/NT/2000/2003…. Take Windows Password Key for example, followings are the steps to create the reset CD/DVD.
    1.Login to a computer that can link to Internet. Download windows Password key 8.0 and install it on that PC. Note that: there is a .ISO file. Burn the .ISO file to a CD or a USB flash drive.

2. Insert the newly created CD/USB drive to the locked computer.

3. Reboot the locked computer and press’F2’or’Delete’to enter your BIOS setup and then followed the process of instructions. Just a few steps, the old password was removed.If you have lost windows password,this tutorial can help you efficiently.

3. Password reset August 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

Which system do you use?

On windows xp, try this:
    Boot computer and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice when you See Windows welcome screen / login screen. It’ll show classic login box. Now type “Administrator” (without quotes) in username field and leave password field blank, press Enter and you should be able to login Windows.
    Now you can reset your account password from “Control Panel -> User Accounts”.

If that doesn’t or you use windows 7 or vista, try this:
    1. Enter a computer that can link to Internet. Download windows password recovery Tool 3.0 and install the software on that computer.
    2. Run the software and create windows password reset disk by follow the instructions.
    3. Eject the created CD/DVD and insert it into the locked computer.
    4. Reboot the locked computer (it’s necessary for you to change your locked computer’s BIOS setting to make it boot from CD drive) and then follow the instructions to reset your password.
    5. Now login Windows and set a new password.

• allan October 12, 2010 at 7:51 am #

WinXP, worked perfectly. I typed administrator as the logging in user and nothing as the password, hit Enter, and my problems were all solved. Fixed everything else in user accounts at Control Panel.

I saw software selling for hundreds and hundreds of dollars to download software to get past the log-in window, with some freewareable password management. Thank you for your integrity and honesty.

• Maria Davis June 3, 2013 at 5:13 am #

What if you have created a boot disc with the Windows Password recovery Tool 3.0 and it doesn’t work? I burned it onto a CD as well as on my usb flash drive, set the bios menu to hit the cd drive first, then the usb drive, and all it did was say, missing operating system on the screen. Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong? Thank you!

4. c faqs August 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

It is really a nice info with have a great suggestion on this post.I think Most of us know that changing your Windows XP logon password regularly is a good habit to help keep your PC secure.

5. reset windows password August 3, 2010 at 9:23 am #

If you don’t want to change the password:

1 > Get a program called Ophcrack(very large. 496Mb)
    2 >> Download the liveCD (ISO)
    3 >> Burn the ISO to a CD using an ISO burner
    4 >> The Live CD’s come with the free rainbow tables, so you might need to download other tables (cost money)
    4 >> Bootup from the CD
    5 >> Crack the SAM and System file

If you want to remove Windows password(the fastest way):
    freeware:Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
    commercial option: Windows Password Reset Standard

6. Whiztechy August 9, 2010 at 12:41 am #

I am really bad when it comes to remember my passwords. I have tired NT password & recovery editor and I was quite happy with it. I was not aware about other tools, will surely give others also a try.

7. used tires August 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

I was hoping to read that the software is able to output/display the password, now that would be absolutely powerful! Still though, being able to reset the password is still just as good. Hopefully this kind of power doesn’t get in the wrong hands though as otherwise it could get bad if you know what I mean.

Till then,

Jean

8. rcmichelle August 30, 2010 at 10:57 am #

Last time I forgot my password and tried everything i could do but failed, until I found this great tool Password Genius. It works great, and you can google it.

9. napkin rings October 9, 2010 at 11:03 pm #

Last time i forgot my password i had so much trouble that im never going to use it again.

10. Computer Tips Tricks October 15, 2010 at 12:01 am #

Wow great tip! It can be really helpful for those who really have trouble with their passwords.

11. Sell Textbooks October 29, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

Good info to have. you never know what may happen.

12. mark November 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

I would like to introduce Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 . it not only supports XP, 2000, and NT, I have personally tested it with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate. It works perfectly to reset any local user account to a blank password. I Wrote it to an old 128mb USB flash drive do this. Booting up and clearing a password takes a minute or two works like a charm. You can download it from www[doc]windowspasswordsrecovery[doc]com

13. sell textbooks March 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

Thanks for the info. I had to do this with a few business computers I handed out.

14. Anddy_2011 August 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

Sometimes the easiest and safest way is to just to buy a tool like Windows Password Seeker. It will save your plenty of time and It is very effectively. Download it from http://www.passwordseeker.com

15. syonxu November 2, 2011 at 6:39 am #

If your computer is lone, you can use this tool:
    Windows Password Rescuer Personal,it can recover the password in a few minutes.Refer to http://www.daossoft.com/documents/how-to-reset-window-2000–xp-vista-win7-password.html.There is a detailed guide.

If your computer is on a domain, you can use Windows Password Rescuer Advanced, Learn the usage from:http://www.daossoft.com/documents/how-to-reset-windows-domian-account-password.html

These tools can help you recover your password in several minutes.

16. prakash March 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

ay one help me out pls….
    windows 2003 server R2 Password reset tool required immediately……..

17. purchase settlements April 2, 2012 at 3:06 am #

Im lucky enough not to have needed that yet.

18. emobile_developer July 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Really that is very boring moment when I forget my window XP Password. I am telling this because once in the past this situation was created and I had been frustrated and I had to format my PC. You did a great job and I really need these tree techniques. Thank you so much for sharing helpful information.

19. jackymark January 12, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

Reset Windows 7/Vista/xp password with CMD. Key steps:
    Step 1: Logon your Windows as administrator(You also can logon Safe Mode with Command Prompt, pressing F8 when restart your computer, hit up/down key to choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt and hit Enter).
    Step 2: Click on Start, type cmd in the Run box or Search box and press Enter.
    Step 3: Type net user, all user accounts of your computer will be listed.
    Step 4: Type net user “UserName” “NewPassword”(replace UerName and NewPassword with yours), press Enter, then the password will be reset as new one and you can logon Windows 7/Vista with it. You also can use a Windows password recovery program base on CMD.

20. read more July 27, 2013 at 4:22 am #

Yes, I have personally tested it with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate. It works perfectly to reset any local user account to a blank password. I Wrote it to an old 128mb USB flash drive do this. Booting up and clearing a password takes a minute or two works like a charm!

More in Tips and Tricks (4 of 28 articles)