Disable Annoying User Account Control (UAC) Prompts Without Turning It Off

User Account Control was supposed to be one of the killer new features of Windows Vista – something that was supposed to increase the inherent security of the Operating System and give malwares a hard time. Instead, it managed to annoy every single user and became one of the most hated features of Windows Vista. Sure, Microsoft toned it down a bit in Windows 7, but UAC is still very much there and is still extremely annoying.

One of the problems with UAC is that it is defective by design. Microsoft has stated in the past that they wanted UAC to be irritating in the hope that it would encourage legit software developers to reduce security risks associated with their software. Microsoft’s intentions were undoubtedly noble. For example, most applications do not require administrative privilege, yet unnecessarily request it. Unfortunately, even after almost half a decade, most software developers have not adapted and UAC prompts are still infuratingly frequent.

A quick solution is to disable User Account Control all together. However, a better solution is offered by a tiny utility called TweakUAC. TweakUAC supports something called “Quiet Mode”, which allows you to retain most of the benefits offered by UAC without any of its annoyance.

Tweak-UAC-Disable-Annoying-UAC-Prompts

In Quiet Mode all elevation prompts are automatically suppressed for users with administrative rights (standard users will still be prompted). However, other features of UAC are retained. For example, Internet Explorer will still be executed in protected mode and applications will be (by default) launched without administrative privileges.

TweakUAC is a nifty utility, which makes UAC less maddening for administrators, without compromising on most of the security benefits offered by UAC. Use it, if you are fed up with the frequent UAC prompts.

Download TweakUAC (84.3 KB)
Cost: Freeware
Version Reviewed: 1.0
Operating System: Windows Vista/7

, , , , , ,

15 Responses to Disable Annoying User Account Control (UAC) Prompts Without Turning It Off

1. Rohit Sane March 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks for this one..I din’t know that we can actually do it..
    .-= Rohit Sane´s last blog ..Web Hosting geeks: Solution to all your Web Hosting problems =-.

2. Vikash Dhankar March 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

my friend was asking me about this problem, now your blog link goes to my friends solution
    Thanks man

3. Erik May 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

Cool Tool, but a better tool has been released it’s
    called UAC Controller Tool v1.0 and works
    perfectly for Windows 7. It’s easy to use and supports
    tray area icon.

*Works only under Windows 7.

However, I suggest this tool.

• Pallab De May 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely check it out.

• Erik May 19, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

Yeah! Have you checked it out? What do you think?
        I myself think it is awesome!!!! You shall write another
        article here about the new tool for Windows 7, it gives
        you better Google Search and more visitors…..awesome!!!!! :) :)
        Cheers,
        Erik

4. Erik June 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Awesome, but you haven’t made a nice screen shot and
    the tool according to their documentation supports a
    technology called Quick Choice, read teir documentation
    PDF: http://www.itknowledge24.com/Documentation.pdf

Cool man…

Have a great day….:) greatz :):)

• Pallab De June 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

I provided a screenshot for the main interface. Quick Choice is just a fancy name for the context menu options provided by the system tray icon. I don’t provide a screenshot for all the interfaces offered by an utility, simply because its unnecessary to do so. Moreover, Quick Clean is not really something I found handy. UAC Controller is a set it once and forget it kind of an app. I definitely don’t need it running in the background.

• Erik June 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

Fine, according to the developer of the program the best thing is
        the actual “Quick Choice” function. Yes, the screen shot is OK,
        but it isn’t that clear when you look at it. I am just trying to tell
        you that you may change the screen shot, allways good to improve
        the website content..and good for visitors.

5. used tires October 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

Never understood the logic behind Microsoft making their new OS with such an annoying UAC! Thankfully it’s gotten better with the recent Windows 7… compared to how it was originally in Vista.. but Still though will give this tool a shot to make it even less annoying!

Till then,

Jean

6. Sell Textbooks October 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

Thanks for the tip i have been trying to figure that one out.

7. p90x January 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

I had this problem with Vista on my laptop and just disabled it finally. Unfortunately i was since unable to preview any images when UAC is off. Thank you for the tweak program, I will give it a try.

– Robert

8. used tires March 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

Interesting, right now I just have it completely off, but this tweak might be a more ideal solution.

-Jean

9. emobile_developer August 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Thanks for the presenting useful solution for disable UAC. I use Vista and have seen this in the control panel. By the way thanks again for the tiny utility TweakUAC.

10. purchase settlements August 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks for the info. I was having a hard time with this the other day.

1. UAC Controller Tool: Supress UAC Prompts or Switch to Friendly Mode - June 13, 2010

[…] this year, I reviewed a tiny utility called TweakUAC. What it did was simple – it turned off all the annoying UAC (User Account Control) prompts […]

More in Software, Tips and Tricks (40 of 174 articles)