How to Disable Taskbar Tabs in Opera 10.5

Opera 10.5 (Evenes) pre-alpha introduced a host of new features including a super-fast JavaScript rendering engine and tighter Windows 7 integration. Support for Jumplists as well as taskbar tabs (or taskbar thumbnails) were added.

Opera-Taskbar-Tabs

Apparently, this is a feature a lot of people appreciate, since both Internet Explorer and Firefox have included it in their recent releases. Personally, I hate taskbar tabs. It almost seems counter intuitive as it eliminates the advantage of organising pages into tabs and windows. In fact it pretty much nullifies the benefits of tabbed browsing. I had disabled this feature almost immediately in Firefox and did the same with Opera 10.5.
Opera 10.5 doesn’t offer any option to disable taskbar tabs, however you can get around this limitation with a simple trick.

Arrow Browse to the location where Opera 10.5 is installed (default: C:Program FilesOpera).
Arrow Right Click on opera.exe and click on Properties.
Arrow Browse to the Compatibility tab and set it to run in capability mode for Windows Vista.

Opera-Disable-Taskbar-Tabs

Arrow Apply changes and launch Opera. Taskbar tabs should now be disabled.

Update: This trick is no longer neccesary, since Opera now includes the option to disable taskbar tabs. Click here and uncheck the “Use Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnails” option. (Thanks Paolo)

, , ,

8 Responses to How to Disable Taskbar Tabs in Opera 10.5

1. Amal Roy January 13, 2010 at 6:33 am #

Thanks So much pallb. I really wanted this hack. The tabs simply popped up every time i moved the mouse near them.
    .-= Amal Roy´s last blog ..How To Save Current Desktop Session & Restore them when Windows Starts =-.

2. Paolo February 10, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

No need for such a crude workaround:
    opera:config#UserPrefs|UseWindows7TaskbarThumbnails

• Pallab De February 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess its time to update this article. This option wasn’t available in the first couple of builds of Opera 10.5 pre-alpha (i.e. at the time of writing).

3. Pan Zupa March 2, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks!! New Opera is great but that function just was meant for me because I have always dozens of tabs in my browser and it was real pain in ass.

4. Marko March 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Thanks for the tip. I completely agree that those thumbnails of tabs are counter intuitive and I hated them. Didn’t know Firefox has them too.
    .-= Marko´s last blog ..Notes (week 8) – Finally done and burned =-.

5. CPuglia March 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

I must be doing something wrong. I click the link in the update, it takes me to the settings menu like it should. I untick the check box, and quit out. After reopening Opera, not only has nothing changed, but the setting box became ticked again. Is there a save button in the Preferences Editor that I’m not seeing?

• CPuglia March 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

And of course, mere minutes later, I see the save button. I should have looked a little harder. Thanks for the tip. There’s plenty of changes in 10.5 I didn’t like, but that’s one taken care of.

• Pallab De March 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

No problem. I am glad that you found the tip useful.

More in Browser, Opera (20 of 90 articles)