How To Enable More Than 4GB Memory in Windows Vista and Windows 7

Windows-4-GB-More-RAM

This article is written for 32 bit operating systems. Unless explicitly mentioned, Windows 7 and Vista refers to the 32 bit edition of the respective Operating Systems.

Couple of months back, I had blogged about a peculiar Windows 7 issue which could cause a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) if the system had 4GB (or more) RAM. I managed to find a fix for that issue. But, I had another minor niggle to figure out. Although I paid for 4GB of RAM, Windows refused to use more than 3GB. If you have 4GB or more RAM then you are probably familiar with the following screen.

Windows-7-Vista-3-GB-Usable

Computer Properties displayed installed memory as 4GB but at the same time stated that only 3 GB is usable. So, where did the remaining memory go?

As it turns out, chunks of your RAM are reserved for various purposes and are not available to the operating system. For example, PCI Express support will reserve 256-768 MB depending upon the graphics adapter. Due to this Windows always displays less than 4 GB RAM as the amount of usable memory. Depending upon your hardware, anywhere between 2.75 GB and 3.5 GB of RAM will be available to the OS.

But, what if you have more than 4 GB RAM? Even on a system with 32 GB RAM, 32 bit editions of Windows will display less than 4 GB of memory. This is a known limitation of the Windows Vista and 7 x86 editions.

Microsoft claims that it is not their fault and is instead a limitation of the 32 bit architecture. At first glance this seems correct. 32 bit processor using 32 bit registers should be only able to address up to 4 GB of RAM (232 = 4G). However, this is not actually true. The main reason being a feature called Physical Address Extension (PAE).

PAE makes it possible to address more than 4 GB of memory using 32 bit registers, since the registers aren’t used to store the physical address. Instead, the registers store linear addresses, which are mapped to physical addresses using the page table. This feature has been available since the days of Intel Pentium Pro. In x86 processors additional address lines are provided so that up to 64 GB can be addressed when using the PAE mode. If you want to learn more about Windows memory addressing, go through Geoff Chappell’s notes.

Windows Vista and 7 have two kernels – one which doesn’t use PAE and one which does. They are NTOSKRNL.EXE and NTKRNLPA.EXE respectively. Both of them reside within the Windows/System32 directory. Can you guess which one you are using? If you have a modern machine, then chances are that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is enabled in your system and in that case you are already using the kernel with PAE enabled.

How to Enable More Than 4 GB Memory

Before getting started, keep in mind that this patch involves modifying the kernel. Do no proceed unless you are confident. Most security products will identify these patches as malicious since they modify the Windows kernel.

Download the appropriate patch for your system (links at the end of this post). I haven’t tried the Windows Vista patch, but I can confirm that the Windows 7 patch works. The Windows 7 patch is in Russian language. To begin patching click on the big button (refer to screenshot). After this a command prompt window should appear. Press Y.

On restarting the system, you should see two entries in the Windows Boot Menu – one being the older configuration and the other being the one with support for more than 4 GB RAM. If you don’t want to be prompted every time, press Win + R, type msconfig and hit Enter. Under the Boot tab, reduce the timeout value (to something like 3 sec). If you wish, you can simply get rid of the older configuration by deleting it. But I wouldn’t recommend this. If you get a water mark (Test Mode) on your desktop after restarting, type mcbuilder.exe in the Start Menu and press Enter.

Windows-Vista-4GB-RAM-Patch-
Windows Vista Patch
Windows-7-4GB-RAM-Patch-2
Windows 7 Patch: Step 1 (Click on the button)
Windows-7-4GB-RAM-Patch-1
Windows 7 Patch: Step 2 (Press Y)

This patch will allow the OS to use more than 4 GB of memory. However, it does have a limitation – more than 3 GB of memory cannot be allocated to a single application. This patch is mainly targeted at systems with more than 4 GB of RAM. However, in some cases installing this patch on 4 GB systems will also lead to an increase in available memory (which may not necessarily result in performance improvement). This may appear to be a bit strange since Windows 7 and Vista are technically capable of addressing up to 4 GB of memory. Obviously, there is a logical explanation for this behavior. But, I won’t discuss it here. Refer to Geoff Chappell’s notes on Physical Memory Map if you wish to explore the issue in detail.

Warning: The patches described in this article are kernel patches. They may result in unexpected hardware issues and expose your system to malicious exploits.

Download Links:
4GB Memory Patch for Vista 32 bit (SP1 and SP2)
4GB Memory Patch for Windows 7 32 bit

[Image Courtesey: Brajeshwar]

, , , ,

138 Responses to How To Enable More Than 4GB Memory in Windows Vista and Windows 7

1. Anish K.S December 31, 2009 at 7:23 am #

Thanks Pallab for the post.
    .-= Anish K.S´s last blog ..Installing Fennec on Nokia N810 =-.

2. Gamer December 31, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

For people with big graphics cards 1GB or more and having issues with x64 this could be the answer. Having a card with 1GB of Video RAM and still being able to utilize their full 4GB of system RAM. Benchmarking seems to show no performance issues to. :D

3. Fabry December 31, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

the link to patch Windows Vista is broken, you fix it? thanks

• Pallab December 31, 2009 at 7:48 pm #

The link is fine. Anyway, I added mirrors for both the files.

4. Tallahassee January 5, 2010 at 8:52 am #

Thank you very much for this post. The patch works great for Windows 7, very stable. I have 8 gigs of ram and was only registering 3 gigs of it before the patch.

5. mxc January 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

How can i do rollback of trhis patch.
    I have BSOD’s every 10 mins!

• Pallab De January 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm #

The Vista patch creates a backup of the ntkrnlpa.exe. You need to replace the patched file with the original file (backed up).
      For the 7 patch use msconfig to remove the patched bootmenu entry.

6. jeffn0506 February 1, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

hi all :
    i also am in the same boat , i have 7 and have down loaded the patch , i went from showing 4gb to showing 6gb and i have 8 installed, how do i know if the other 2gb or ram are working ?, so far all is well except the above…any replys would be appreiciated,,

7. jeffn0506 February 2, 2010 at 5:46 am #

Hi All:
    well all is well under the hood here , many thanks for the tip !
    now does anyone have any views on what to do with the paging file now that the ram has changed?. with 6bg of ram what are some suggestions to make min & max ?, and is it benificial to use a flash drive to put the pagging file on if no other hard drive is available?

• Pallab De February 6, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Glad that the patch worked for you. As far as paging file is concerned, I don’t believe in the 1.5x theory. It makes no sense. A system with a small amount of RAM would require a large page file while a system with a large amount of RAM would require a smaller page file. Not the other way around.
      I wouldn’t allocate more than 3GB to the page file. However, the most important thing is to set a specific value. Don’t set a range. Otherwise the OS would be busy just resizing the page file.

It is better to have the page file on a separate hard disk. If that is not possible place it on a different partition. Even better, use a 4GB high speed pen drive in Ready Boost mode. This would burn out the pen drive in a few months, but they are quite cheap anyway.

• jeffn0506 February 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

Hi : and thank you for the reply and the great tip ,
        so are you saying to keep both the same size then, and STILL GO WITH THE READY BOOST, I HAVE A 8GB HI SPEED AND WILL TRY IT. what program could i use to see if there is any difference??
        i really appreciate all ur time and expertiece,
        Jeff

• Pallab De February 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm #

8GB of ready boost is going to be an overkill. You can use a cheaper 4GB usb drive (if you have it). I am saying this because, make no mistake about it – Readyboost will reduce your usb drive’s lifespan.

If you are going to use readyboost, I suggest setting a really low page file size (1024MB) should be enough.

You can try 3d benchmark software like 3DMark. I got a significant performance boost with ReadyBoost in games. Normal application performance won’t be vastly different since most of them simply don’t use more than a couple of hundred MBs of RAM.

• jeffn0506 February 6, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

hi: well i just happened to have 2of these 8gb hi speed drives so used the one,
            what are your thoughts on superfetch??
            on or off ??

8. remy February 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

make your paging file 1 and 1/2 x the size of your ram. so for example if u have 4gb ram make paging file 6gb..

9. jeffn0506 February 2, 2010 at 11:31 pm #

thank you for the reply , shall the ppaging file be on the same drive as the os or a high speed usb flash
    the total memory installed is 6gb , so should i use 6gb for the min and
    9 gb for the max, ??

10. Rabbi March 2, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

I have 4GB RAM so i got the Windows 7 64bit version instead.

11. Hue C.M May 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

Hi there,

The link for windows 7 32 bit is no longer available. Can anyone post me the link? or better still email the file?.

Thanks & regards,
    hue

• MichaelP June 15, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

Hue C.M, I am looking for the same W7-32Bit file. If you get it from somewhere could you either send me the link or email me the content.
      Thanks

• Pallab De July 24, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Hi guys, I have updated the links.

12. jeffn0506 May 16, 2010 at 5:53 am #

when someone finds the link i would be interested in it as well as i didnt save it ,,

jeffn0506

13. Robert Wilkinson June 24, 2010 at 6:52 am #

if someone will send this to me the patches I will post on my server for download

14. fcuk June 25, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

i have downloaded this file before…here is the link of the file —>> http://rapidshare.com/files/402638958/4GB-7600.RTM.x86.04.08.2009.exe.html

hope to help you guys out…

15. jeff June 26, 2010 at 2:37 am #

the rapid share link gave me (3) trojans
    thanks pal .

16. sourojit August 1, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Thanks mate. It worked perfectly fine for me..

17. david September 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

Hi, I have done the steps, downloaded the file and everything. but after checking the resource monitor and system properties, it still says 3.0GB usable ram.
    help..

18. dsad September 4, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

thanks

19. CW September 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Mine is still only showing 2.87GB ram available (4 installed) ! :(
    What’s wrong with the patch?

20. Noah Vail September 16, 2010 at 8:05 am #

Confirm Success with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit (ver 6.1.7600 after patch).

No issues, the patch went smoothly. I show 4GB out of 4GB RAM available to the system.

I’ll note that my mainboard has a Intel Broadwater i946GZ Chipset.
    The 946 series is a slightly later model than the 945GM/E/PM Calistoga Chipsets.
    All of the 945 series chipsets will not address above 3GB Ram – Period.

Thanks for the boost!

NV

21. CW September 16, 2010 at 11:49 pm #

Can anyone please tell me how to find out what chipset I have? I am wondering if that is why it won’t work.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 530J

22. Rohit Langde September 24, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

Thanks a Lot Pallab, Eventhough McAfee detected it as PUP, I went ahead.
    Worked perfectly and shows watermark on Homescreen as “Test Mode” though.

23. Andy Dickens October 4, 2010 at 9:38 am #

When I tried the Win 7 patch on my 32 bit Enterprise version, I got only blue screens on boot and had to revert to the unpatched version. Could this be due to BitLocker being enabled?

24. golden boy October 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Win7 build 6.1.7600.16617 with 4GbRAM installed. The patch was successfully installed, but system still just recognize 3Gb instead 4 Gb.

Is this patch only work on Win7 build 6.1.7600.16539 ?

• Debug December 11, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

This patch adds a old kernel ver 6.1.7600.16397 and patches nothing. My system version is 6.1.7600.16617 – fails on boot.

I think there’s instruction on how to modify the offsets and patch properly.

25. Joel January 5, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I am using win 7 32bit but the patch doesnt launch as a window although the process is running

26. Adharrsh January 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

Hi,
    I The patch was successfully installed, after the startup there was this at the right bottom end of the desktop – “TEST MODE , Windows 7, Build 7600″.( I hope this is the watermark that was mentioned.I did type mcbuilder.exe in the Start Menu and press Enter. But the new display did not vanish. Is this normal? Or how to fix this.

27. AndyJ January 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

I have run this Windows 7 patch and it has worked flawlessly for several weeks. If I needed to, is there any way to uninstall this patch?

28. CW January 13, 2011 at 3:15 am #

Still not working. “string not found” is what I get when I use the patch. Still only using 2.87gb ram, when there is 4GB installed!

29. Adharrsh January 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Hi,
    I The patch was successfully installed, after the startup there was this at the right bottom end of the desktop – “TEST MODE , Windows 7, Build 7600?.( I hope this is the watermark that was mentioned.I did type mcbuilder.exe in the Start Menu and press Enter. But the new display did not vanish. Is this normal? Or how to fix this.

Somebody Plz reply.

30. Patrick February 6, 2011 at 4:01 am #

Doesn’t work…When I try to patch it says:

“Cannot access the file, maybe it’s in use…
    Please close the file before patching!”

31. Dodge Neon SRT4 February 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

I have downloaded the patch. What should i do after i downloaded the Patch? I am bit confusing.

32. Kaqaniku February 9, 2011 at 6:19 am #

do not belive stupid man not workin!
    instal Windows 7 x64 bit

33. Kaqaniku February 9, 2011 at 6:22 am #

don download this program, its not realy, before patching read in the rusian language,
    after reboot your PC have 2 boot, i am traying before 5 month

34. used tires February 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

Seems strange that the smart people at Microsoft won’t release a patch to allow for the 4gb, but maybe they know something more than us?

-Jean

35. Jak_Karter February 16, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

The “PATCH” it’s working just fine, i used this “PATCH” in 3 computers Desktop for 1 year end 4 months all three computers have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits !!!

1. Step 1, before starting installation disable antivirus software from your computer in all four categories:Antivirus Protection,Antispyware Protection,Personal Firewall,Antispam Protection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. Make sure you have turned off Windows Firewall on all 3 areas, go in this route:
    Start/Control Panel/Windows Firewall/AdvancedSettings,all 3 areas must be stopped:
    - Domain Profile—->Windows Firewall is off!
    - Private Profile—->Windows Firewall is off!
    - Public Profile—->Windows Firewall is off!

Now, just follow step by step what was written in the article above!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Mahmoud March 10, 2011 at 11:43 am #

i would like to thank you very much
    after install the patch on Win 7 32 bit i found total RAM usable is 4 GR totaly
    now i have all ram worked as below

Total RAM : 4 GB all usable
    Installed RAM : 4 GB
    Available RAM : 2 GB

Thanks Again

37. yowan March 12, 2011 at 1:43 am #

For eveyone; this is just a PAE extension patch designed to allow the system to allocate more RAM to applications which ONLY support PAE. Microsoft confirmed(via SF) that this patch is actually useless. It will obviously make the system detect all the RAM but that is useless since it will still be unusable althought all RAM is detected. Messing with the kernel might cuase BSODs like BC3B and BC7F. Just use X64 versions of windows to avoid any issues with this.

• brian March 13, 2011 at 6:02 am #

You have no idea what your talking about. Instead of posting useless information please read up or at least attend a pre school and learn the very basics of computer usage.

• Yowan March 13, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Do don’t even seem to understand the internals of Win NT, you should go back to pre-school. Ask any MVP and or any qualified MS pro and you’ll get your answer

38. kekstier March 16, 2011 at 6:03 am #

worked for me, didnt even get the watersign

39. Daniel March 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

This patch worked like a charm for me!! I went from 3GB usable to 3.75GB usable and I do notice a difference with performance in general! Also, for those who need to run “mcbuilder.exe”, open a command prompt (right-click and ‘run as administrator’ for elevated permissions) and type mcbuilder.exe to get rid of the watermark.

40. Yowan March 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Seriously whats all the hype with that obsolete 32-bit OS? If anyone has a decent PC with at least 4GB x64 OS is the way to go. These incompatibilities are no longer a problem since all manufacturers offer 64-bit drivers. Even 99.9% of all software works in x64

• Igor April 7, 2011 at 10:55 am #

It’s very simple dude…if you have a pc with 4GB of RAM and you have a CPU that is not 64bit compatible, like lets say Centrino Duo on Lenovo T60 laptop, then you definitely need this since you can’t use 64bit OS.
      Is it clear now for you? Or you are going to say now “buy a laptop with 64bit CPU and install 64bit Windows” ???

• Yowan April 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

I clearly mentioned ‘decent PC’. Outdated computers won’t obviously support new technologies

41. Printing solutions April 8, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

I have window Vista at the moment, i hate it soooo much! I want to turn it into window xp is that possible? I have a window Xp disk that i bought a while back. My question is: Is is it possible to reformat window vista to Window XP.Thanks a lot.

• Yowan April 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

You won’t gain any huge benefits from XP since it is obsolete. Remember that it is a decade old OS that is in extended support, i.e you won’t get any more features from MS for XP. Just add more RAM to your computer, it will make vista faster

• Reydotexe April 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

y the heck do people still use XP!

42. Bassdude April 11, 2011 at 11:09 am #

I figure whether it works or not for some people, and it makes sense that what he has said is pretty crystal clear.

Reading helps for issues.
    Realistically, the simple fact that someone has tried to help others deserves a pat on the back.

I think it indicates quite clearly “If in doubt, don’t” – basically.
    :-)

43. sell textbooks April 11, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

I didn’t realize you could do this . thanks for theinfo this helps out a lot.

44. gogus buyutucu April 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

worked for me, didnt even get the watersign ;)

45. TLM April 15, 2011 at 7:26 am #

I’ve attempted this several times, using msconfig to delete the new one before trying again. I try to boot from the new one, but my screen remains black and the computer restarts. The only way I’ve been able to make this work is by entering safe mode for the patched version. Which is pointless. Any ideas on how to fix this? Email me at twisted _ sktr @ yahoo . com

• Yowan April 15, 2011 at 11:20 am #

This patch is very risky and can damage your OS, your solution is to use 64-bit

• Igor June 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

Windows does not recognise all of the installed ram in the 64 bit version either. i have 6GB installed, but i can only use 3.21GB

does anyone know how to fix this in the 64 bit version?

• Yowan June 7, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

This is probably because of on-board GPUs such as Intel GMA Graphics or AMD/Nvidia Mobility GPUs which ‘share’ memory with your main RAM. If you have ‘Memory Remap’(features which overlaps PCI memory over RAM) in your BIOS you should enable it

What Graphics card you have?

46. Internet Marketing Consulting May 21, 2011 at 8:09 am #

More Windows Vista Features here. Windows XP Features: … Windows 7 is awesome! it is faster then Vista, imagine a beta version is almost bugless

47. shota June 1, 2011 at 1:39 am #

On Windows 7 Ultimate x32-bit System it does work perfectly.
    I got 5.00GB(RAM) now ;)

48. salinski June 8, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

is this patch compatible with sp1?

49. Isa Mujahid June 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Nice post…. its on now… i’ll add 2 more Gbs…. hehe
    Working perfectly fine now…4GBs

50. butisac June 28, 2011 at 6:49 am #

hy, please help me.
    i have myself the same problem, 1 have instaled in my pc 4 gb, but my pc only shows me 3 gb.

i try to use this patch, and many others. in this patch, i get the message ,,Can not fint the file.Search the file?” i click yes, i find th file myself C:\Windows\System32\ntkrnlpa.exe and after, when i do it says ,, Can not acces file.Maybe it’s in use … Please close the file before patching. Try to acces the file again ? ” what should i do ? please help me .

i have vista 32 bit Home Premium , my pc it;s a fujitsu siemens

51. butisac June 28, 2011 at 6:51 am #

i forget to say, that i did stoped windows firewall and my antivirus, please help

52. hg2051 August 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

I ran the software.When prompted to choose the operating system, I chose “vista…(>128 gb)”.
    But it didn’t start, because of a missing “PSHED.dll”.
    I tried to repair the startup with the original DVD-same problem;
    I tried, from the prompt, “bootrec.exe /fixmbr”
    Upon a new attempt to start, I was stopped by an error at the kernel (ntkrnl…);
    So I turned back at the original OS (fortunately, not damged).
    Could you give me an explanation and a solution?
    Thanks.

53. Ozzyosborne680 November 6, 2011 at 4:37 am #

LOL Work fine and only took 2 mins to set up (just waiting to find that someone has hijacked my computer now lol)

thanks for the info (as long as no one finds my card details that is ) :)

54. 33ovi November 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

thanks a milion man it show 5 gb from 5 gb installed~!!!!!

• arben December 20, 2012 at 2:29 am #

thanks so mutch

55. 33ovi November 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

damn whater mark did not disapear (i tried mcbuilder.exe)

• W1n5t0n December 30, 2011 at 8:00 am #

The solution is to open CMD, as an administator, type in “mcbuilder.exe” hit enter, and reboot. It worked for me after that! Hope this helps you out.

56. DDS December 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

I no longer use a 32bit edition, but I did use 32bit edition in the past with all 4GB RAM visible without problems.

Try this patch:

It also removes the need to run in test mode.

However, it does not work for everyone, mainly due to buggy drivers.

57. Alper January 21, 2012 at 3:28 am #

hi. i cant patch kernel. its error messages

“can not access the file.maybe it’s in use…

please close the file before patching! try to access the file again now?”

help me please..

58. traian March 1, 2012 at 1:06 am #

Is not working with Windows 7 ultimate edition. I try three times and nothing.

59. Martin May 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Hi.

How can i remove the patch?

Thanks

Martin

60. Yordi May 31, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

Hi, i’ll try to use the Windows Vista patch but I received alway the follow message: cannot acces the file. Maybe it’s in use… Please close the file before patching! Try to access the file again now?
    I’ll have try diffent ways to make it work like: Turn of UAC, safe mode,…
    Does someone have a sollution? :)
    Many thanks!!

61. Enea June 1, 2012 at 3:41 am #

lasciate perdere questo articolo il processore a 32 bit non può usare più di 3 gb di ram quindi anche se usate questa patch windows vedrà che ci sono più di 4 gb di ram installati ma ne userà comunque 3 perchè l’archittettura a 32 bit non supporta più di 3 gb di ram.

62. Mikeo June 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I’ve been running the patch overnight, and it really feels like the windows processes are taking longer, based on the spinning blue wheel. Explorer gave me a blue wheel just to open a new instance. Really strange since there’s more memory available now.

63. Craig July 7, 2012 at 11:30 am #

The information given here is very interesting and useful and I would like to try using the patch. However, I would like to know if the Win 7 patch can be used on Win 7 Ultimate with SP1?

64. purchase settlements July 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

thanks for the info. I was having trouble with this wehn I wanted to upgrade but not have to but a whole new system

65. Josh July 12, 2012 at 5:24 am #

Wow this is REALLY cool!
    I’m glad to learn that Window’s 3gb limit for 32-bit systems is only an artificial one. -.-

66. Nike1600 July 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

How can i remove it ? plzzzzzzzzzzzz telllllllllll

• Tomas July 20, 2012 at 4:47 am #

Yes pls tell how remove it? coz on some games after this patch my fps are very very low.

67. hg2051 July 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Never did, neither will, trust russian (patches).

68. jafar August 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

hi
    i download not
    please for upload me because
    I internet is limit

69. Riza September 17, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Hello!
    Can you make patch for Windows 8 32bit?

• Pedro Augusto September 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Não consegui instalar no Windows 8 Build 9200 —–

70. biplab dansena October 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

can i use it on windows xp 32 bit system

• Mike October 9, 2012 at 11:38 am #

You can install on windows 7 first, then reinstall win xp deleting windows 7, and it will still work
      .But if you reinstall windows 7 you will have to run the patch again.
      You can’t install within windows xp.

• Mike October 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

I’m really pleased with this patch,no problems at all applying it, but I did make a backup of my system before using the patch. Also it’s a good idea to run “msconfig” and reduce the boot timeout to 3 seconds, so as to skip the delay in boot options that the patch creates.
        I had a problem after installing a game where my memory was only showing 450mb and the computer was very slow after I uninstalled the game.
        In the boot, advanced, window of “msconfig” I was able to reset the memory to the full 8gb. Don’t know if this was caused by the game or the patch, but it hasn’t happened since. It’s great to be able to burn 12 dvd’s in succession without having to reboot the computer now that I can access all my ram.

71. purchase settlements October 3, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

I just had a friend who had this issue and we couldn’t’ figure it out. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this thanks.

72. visit this link over here now October 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

I agree in part to this site, but maybe i need to think about it more

73. Loppree November 12, 2012 at 4:50 am #

Thanx a lot men, it works great on Win7. It shows 16GB. And my problems with video reendering out of memory errors are gone. :-)

74. keny December 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

fucking lovely, thanks russia!

75. Mike December 14, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

You can do the same with W8 and W7 with this GENIUS bootkit (better than this way)
    Go ahead make your day I DID IT :

76. ppc professionals December 18, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

nice I didn’t know there was a fix for that.

77. Sony Goraya December 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

hmmmm great method i will try it :)

78. Doug February 18, 2013 at 4:09 am #

Installed the patch on my DELL Windows 7 and it worked like a charm. It now addresses most of the 12 gig. I can load several program at once which I do with 3 screens with plenty of memory left over. Before I was using upwards of 80% of my available memory.

79. manuel February 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

will this not work for 7 64 bit ???

• yowanvista February 27, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

Seriously? 64-bit versions of Windows 7 can address up to 192GB of RAM

• manuel February 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

well mine says only 3.12 usble out of 6.00 gb my max is 8 gb on a foxconn gm3302

• yowanvista February 28, 2013 at 2:02 am #

It’s because your board has the GMA 3100 integrated graphics which is using part of your RAM as shared video memory and chipset limitation. From what I’ve seen this board with the default BIOS can only address up to 4GB of RAM. This has nothing to do with Windows, the issue is your BIOS.

Your board uses the G33 Chipset which technically supports up to 8GB but Dell used (I assume you’ve got a Dell because they’re among the few using that board) a BIOS which limits the max RAM to 4GB. Moreover Dell states that each memory slot on that board can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 modules with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

Basically only 4GB can be ‘seen’ by this BIOS revision. Check if there’s a BIOS updates that allows the full RAM to be addressed.

• manuel March 1, 2013 at 1:41 am #

I have a evga nvida geforce 440 1 gb video card runs smooth as is but just though it would be better with the full 6 gb of ram I Been playing bf3 lately and it get laggy every now and than I think is my ram though idk

• manuel March 1, 2013 at 1:44 am #

O and there is a gm33 1a and 2b motherboard one is 4 gb Max other is 8gb Max its not 4gb Max I have no I don’t have a dell got the motherboard from eBay and built my desktop from ground up spent close to 450 on everything just saying

• Frank Lucas October 6, 2013 at 9:59 am #

This is for 32bit to access all of your ram as Win 7 32bit will not give you all 4GBs of ram or however much you have, it only uses 3. This lets you use waaay more it’s a fantastic program with noticeable differences

80. Romy Jee February 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Will This Work On Win Xp 32 bit…

• yowanvista March 1, 2013 at 1:54 am #

No it won’t. Moreover XP is 10 years+ old. Upgrade to at least Windows 7 64-bit.

81. yowanvista March 1, 2013 at 1:57 am #

@manuel, adding more RAM does NOT increase performance, it will only allow the system to run more apps at the same time. The GT440 is a low end card, you can do almost nothing to improve its performance. That system of yours needs to be replaced if you want better performance.

BF3 is more GPU intensive, it will require a midrange card like the 660Ti/AMD equivalent and a decent processor from the Intel i3/i5/i7 series for best results. You can’t expect it to run at nice fps with such a dated system.

• manuel March 1, 2013 at 2:04 am #

I mean it runs fine I’m thinking about upgrading the gpu but idk I wanted a basic gaming PC for under or around 500 that I can build but as far I know it runs fine I got 28 to 35 fps on bf3 lately which is fine with me I would have to find a gpu that’s a gddr5 that’s the only that I know would fit in the mobo

• yowanvista March 1, 2013 at 9:51 am #

A better GPU wouldn’t really improve performance since you’ll have a huge bottleneck especially with your current LGA775 processor which is dated.

• Frank Lucas February 25, 2014 at 8:24 am #

You are wrong on both comments. I am a first hand account of both of these enabling me to game better. I couldn’t play COD Black Ops without enabling the 4GB Ram unlock without it being choppy and I’m on a Dell XPS 720 with dual nVidia 8800 GTX’s, only use one now as the other went out and I’m about to upgrade to the latest. Every time my PC starts now it automatically enables the 4GB-Ram, I wouldn’t run my PC without it, been doing this for 4 years now. A better GPU will definitely improve performance, I have never heard someone say the opposite, it’s like switching from Black tinted windows on your car to clear windows, you can finally see better. Or switching from a stock air intake to a modified cold air intake, you get a bit of performance out of it and the engine runs better.

• manuel March 1, 2013 at 2:09 am #

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2668-KR is the one I like that’s a 660 series lol my wife likes this one as well but she have a 9800gtx + in her desktop she doesn’t do much gaming though lol

82. Alessio March 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

How uninstall the patch?

• yowanvista March 3, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

System Restore

• Alessio March 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

I turned off the system restore. Any other ideas? Pleaseee…

• yowanvista March 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

Try SFC or a Repair Install.

83. manuel March 5, 2013 at 8:06 am #

@ yowanvista just want to let u know I figured out how to unlock my full 6gb of ram my computer runs a lot faster and smoother had to update BIOS and remove ram don’t know why just seen it on Google search thought I would do it and it worked

84. FerociousRAM June 1, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

This worked with Win7 Pro 32-Bit [Version 6.1.7601]…! =)

85. MIke June 2, 2013 at 2:15 am #

If you are looking for some STABLE and SAFE way for W7 AND W8 use the bootkit from saferbytes here

86. André Gomes June 6, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Hi there,

I tried this solution but my laptop doesn’t boot with that patch on.
    Any idea ?

The laptop goes all black and doesn’t boot at all..

please send me an email helping me.

87. Mark D August 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Not working for me on 2 Vista32sp2 machines (different architectures). Use the Vista OS boot disk to get to cmd prompt, and copy backup file to original, in c:\windows\system32.
    When booting OS CD it will detect bad shutdown and offer recovery, so press cancel soonest, and then menu will appear to select cmd prompt

88. Al October 5, 2013 at 11:06 am #

For me it doesnt work unless I uninstall the driver for the Intel 4000 graphics card. I guess it’s a problem with sharing the memory between the system and the graphics.

89. FerociousVista January 27, 2014 at 11:14 am #

Download links are dead :(

90. MKM March 10, 2014 at 2:43 am #

LINKS ARE DEAD

91. Mike March 10, 2014 at 3:04 am #

Dude Use your fingers, google “saferbytes 4GB” and you will find santa

1. Windows 7 a 32 bit e gli irraggiungibili 4Gb di memoria « Arsenio punto Net - January 5, 2010

[...] A questo punto mi son chiesto se qualche hacker non avesse trovato il modo di patchare il kernel ed infatti interrogando google con le parole "windows patch 4Gb" ho trovato quel che cercavo (Windows 7 RTM 7600 4Gb patch, che potete scaricare dai link in fondo alla pagina da cui ho preso spunto). [...]

2. Oltre 3 gb di ram con Win 7 32 bit, fino a 128 gb | Forum -X- NextHardware - August 24, 2010

[...] [...]

3. Membuka Fiture RAM 4 GB di Windows XP – hoax ??? « c1p1 - December 2, 2010

[...] pdf 1 – pdf 2 -  alt1 [...]

4. free song downloads for ipod - November 8, 2011

Cool sites……

[...]we came across a cool site that you might enjoy. Take a look if you want[...]…

5. 50th Birthday Invitations - December 7, 2011

Sites we Like…

[...] Every once in a while we choose blogs that we read. Listed below are the latest sites that we choose [...]…

6. hard anodized - February 24, 2012

Sources……

[...]check beneath, are some totally unrelated internet sites to ours, however, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use[...]…

More in Featured Post, Tips and Tricks (46 of 84 articles)