Completely Uninstall Antivirus and Internet Security Software With AppRemover

Antivirus and internet security software are notorious for having poor uninstallers which often fail to do their job. In fact all the major security vendors offer separate tools to uninstall their applications. It is ironic that antivirus applications are often harder to remove than a malware.

If you are frustrated with the shabby and incompetent uninstallers offered by various antivirus and internet security software vendors then you will love AppRemover. It is a freeware utility which can uninstall antivirus software as well as clean up a failed uninstall. Currently AppRemover supports products from all the major security vendors including Alwil (avast!), AVG, Avira (AntiVir), ESET (NOD32), F-Secure, Kaspersky, McAfee, Panda, PC Tools, Sophos, Symantec (Norton) and Trend Micro (PC-Cillin). You can view the full list of supported applications here.

Uninstall Security Application With AppRemover

Using AppRemover is extremely simple. It is a portable software (doesn’t require installation) and can be run directly from an USB drive. AppRemover can uninstall security applications as well as clean up failed uninstallation attempts. It automatically scans your computer and detects all installed security products. All you need to do is select the application you would like to get rid of and AppRemover will take care of the rest.

Download AppRemover (3.3 MB)
Version Reviewed: 2.1.0.0
License: Freeware
Operating System: Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 2008 and 7 (32 / 64 bit)

, , , ,

9 Responses to Completely Uninstall Antivirus and Internet Security Software With AppRemover

1. sourojit October 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

Nice application. Though I use Revo uninstaller, which is handy too.
    .-= sourojit´s last blog ..MTextReader – Read Books on Java Handsets =-.

2. Pallab October 1, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

Some of these av software can be really messy. Most of the time Revo can’t really help you.
    But as a general uninstaller revo is top notch. You can read my review of Revo over here.

3. Ana October 2, 2009 at 1:18 am #

This post couldn’t come at a better timing, as I have disabled Antivirus software hanging, and I can’t seem to get rid of it for good. From your opinion, is this definetly the best software to remove unwanted Antiviruses and Security Software? I just want to be sure, before testing it out and than discovering that I have more add-ons after, than I started with.

Thank you again, for a most useful post!

You have definetly got me coming back for more. If it wasn’t for bloggeries I wouldn’t have discovered your blog today! :)
    .-= Ana´s last blog ..The deeper message from within =-.

4. rody @ Satellite Internet October 9, 2009 at 11:07 am #

This is a nice idea for completely uninstalling anti virus and internet security software with application remover. For removing application we can go to control panel and click add or remove program and select the application we want to uninstall and click remove and follow the steps provided. For me I haven’t try Application remover which sound interesting when I came down to this blog as it is portable software and can even run USB drive. Nice blog hope you bring up with better one and I am looking forward to it.

5. Brad Ney October 12, 2009 at 6:29 am #

Personally, I’d just use CCleaner. The software runs good and removes any program in record time.
    .-= Brad Ney´s last blog ..BradBlogging’s 2nd Anniversary Makeover With A New Design and Mindset =-.

6. Mike November 20, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Why is it that so many security software programs are so difficult to remove from your system with not only their own uninstall tools, but the standard MS uninstall option? Is it because they want to leave certain files in case you decide to reinstall at a later date? Is it just laziness? Is it something else? I feel this is one of those questions that I will never get an answer to..

7. utalice January 7, 2010 at 7:44 am #

I have Avira AntiVir Premium on my parents computer, which recently did a nose dive.
    When I got Windows back up, AAP wouldn’t work on Mailguard or Webguard, the services were disabled and couldn’t get them to start again and keep running.

I simply wanted to uninstall the program and reinstall it, but that was impossible. I tried everything I knew of to uninstall it, including Avira’s own software, which was useless.

Also tried CCleaner and Revo. Revo took about half an hour to tell me the files would be completely uninstalled at the computer reboot. Guess what? Nope! The daggone thing was still there. I was about ready to rip all my pretty blonde hair out when I found AppRemover. It removed all of it quickly and painlessly and I was back up within 15 minutes or so after reinstalling and finangling it back the way it was.

I love this App. Muahhh !

• Pallab January 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Avira’s self defence is quite weak. So, I am guessing some other malware messed with it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

8. topantivirus March 9, 2011 at 8:43 am #

This is just about the most outstanding blogs Ive endure in the extremely lengthy time. The amount of information in the following is stunning, like you practically wrote the book throughout the topic. Your weblog is wonderful for any individual who wishes to realize this topic far a lot more. Fantastic things; please always keep it up!

More in Security, Software (64 of 174 articles)