Six Ways to Bypass Torrent Connection Blocking and Throttling

With the massive increase in popularity of torrents many ISP’s have started throttling torrent downloads (i.e. limiting download/upload speeds) and many colleges and universities are blocking torrents outright. Bypassing these techniques can be laughably easy or maddeningly confusing depending upon the technique employed for limiting or blocking torrent downloads. Here are some possible solutions:

Arrow 1. Https Proxy: This is will work only if you are lucky and your system administrator is really dumb. Sometimes all that the system admin does is block all .torrent files. Getting around this is ridiculously simply. Just use some https proxy website ( like https://proxy.org/ https://proximize.me/ or https://launchwebs.org/ ). Otherwise simple go ahead and paste the torrent URL in TXTor, it will change the file extension to .txt so that it will be loaded normally in your browser. Once the file is completely loaded simply save it as a .torrent file and add it to your torrent downloader. However this would only work for public torrent files.

Arrow 2. Encrypt Torrent Traffic: Smarter ISPs analyze the traffic to detect torrent downloads. One way to get around this is to encrypt the data. Most popular torrent clients support data encryption. You can set your encryption level in uTorrent from Preferences->Bittorrent. Vuze users can do the same through Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Transport Encryption. A detailed guide to encrypting torrent traffic is available here.

Arrow 3. Torrent Relay: While encrypting traffic will probably get you around ISP throttling (e.g. Comcast torrent throttling) it won’t help you if your administrator is blocking ports used by torrent clients. This is where Torrent Relay comes in. It is a browser based torrent downloader that acts as an intermediate between you and the torrent tracker. You provide Torrent Relay with the torrent file; it will download the file to its own server and serve you the http links to the file (now residing in its server). However, this service is not free and costs minimum of $ 9.95/month.

Arrow 4. Furk.net: This is service is quite similar to Torrent Relay. Once again the torrent is downloaded and stored on Furk’s server and you are provided the http download link. This service isn’t free either. It costs €10/month.

Arrow 5. Imageshack Torrent Downloader: Imageshack – the popular image host, also provides an identical service. It provides 5.0 GB disk space and 10 GB bandwidth every month for free. Additional disk space and bandwidth can be purchased. But be cautious if you use torrents to download copyrighted material, as it is prohibited by their terms of service.

Arrow 6. Xunlei/Thunder: Xunlei or Thunder is a little known Chinese download manager (though its insanely popular in China). If you can’t afford to pay then this option is worth trying. Besides being the fastest http download manager I have come across Xunlei also handles torrent download. It fakes the torrent headers and disguises torrent downloads as http downloads. It downloads using standard http ports so Xunlei should work even if your administrator has implemented port blocking. You can download Xunlei from here and the English translation is available here. Extract the “en_us” folder to “ThunderLanguages” and select Languages->English(US) from ??(V) (3rd menu option). Not only that, Xunlei is faster than most other popular torrent clients like uTorrent or Bitcomet. This is the option I would recommend, however be aware that Xunlei is known as a leeching client and is frowned at by many.

Did these techniques work? Do let us know.

21 Responses to Six Ways to Bypass Torrent Connection Blocking and Throttling

1. Underfloor Heating May 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm #

i know that the torrent is depend on seeders but my problem is i have DSL 1Mb my download by torrent was 70-110 suddenly my download became 30-50 and i dont know why so iam asking for the best way to increase my speed again

2. imageshack torrent June 9, 2009 at 5:37 pm #

The best method of downloading torrent files is through imageshack torrent.

3. Jage September 10, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

thanks for the bypass tricks
    .-= Jage´s last blog ..TiPhone T88 With Push Email Feature =-.

4. shiro February 8, 2010 at 3:17 am #

Is there any specific settings for xunlei thunder?
    Or is it automatically set to fake torrent downloading?

5. Anonymous Web Surfing August 4, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Ya you’re right, I usually use web proxies, there are tons of them on the net. The one I commonly use is Anonymous Web Surfing

6. mani August 13, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

## http://www.torrific.com/home/ ##

I cant believe this website worked out for me.. jus googling around to find sum solution to bypass torrent blocking & came across this website..

From the ‘Cached’ link of piratebay website in google results I copied the torrent link URL of the movy I wanted & fed it to the torrific website && toatally forgot abt it..

In an 1/2hr or so I got a mail indicating my movie from their server is ready for download… Gud luck everyone

• Emmanuel Cruz June 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Works like a charm…

• JIEM31 September 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!!I was worrying because I couldn’t bypass the administrator of our office server and I am not so techie either to know the tweaks of BitComet. Thank you for this tip.

HOW TO:
      Go to torrent sites like ISOHunt

Search for movies and click your chosen movie

Determine if it is safe to download. Tips: http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/scamsandidentitytheft/tp/how-to-spot-fake-torrents.htm

Right-click the Download .torrent and choose “copy link address”

Paste it in the torrific textbox.

Then there you go!!!

Save it to where your heart desires.

I hope this is helpful and super-many-thanks to mani for “enlightening” us.

• webdesigner October 3, 2011 at 9:12 am #

Tried Thunder – does not help my ISP throttling. Still download speed incredibly slow.

Tried Torrific – excellent stuff. I have no problem downloading at maximum speed (unfortunately in office I`m on 1MB, so nothing to write home about)

7. Taiwan August 24, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

This is really great they don’t have it in Taiwan

8. brownbob06 January 3, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Xunlei is TERRIBLE, I can download normal downloads at a speed of between 500k and 1mb/s, utorrent genereally runs around 150-200kb/s, but spiked from time to time to between 1-2 mbps. I have Time Warner so I’m dealing with throttling and this xunlei or thunder crap only downloads at around 13…and spikes to 20 kb/s…. worthless

9. ISP throttle me,I'll show 'em June 4, 2011 at 4:54 am #

Thank you sir.Dwnloading Xunlei now.

Installed and running.Thank you dose’nt express my gratitude.

This helped me tonnes,dont understand chinees

MUHAHAHAHA!!

10. Rocky45 June 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

I am using torrific since it has been created and it works like a charm…I think it is the best torrent leech site and it is also FREE not like FURK.net..try it it is the best

• Sergio March 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

As of Febuary 2012, torrific.com is now pronounced dead … due to SOPA … the site operators are scared shitless ever since the Megaupload operators got busted in HK, so they decided the heck with it and closed shop… for good.

11. Sparky July 13, 2011 at 12:52 am #

I wonder how long this site will last? http://www.torrific.com/ How do they run the backend? I wonder if it acts as a seedbox? It can’t work on private torrent sites, but it works great on piratebay.

12. Lvcifer October 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

Holy fuckin’ shit…
    XUNLEI is amazing… THANKS…

13. suralokeshreddy May 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

HAI FRIENDS,
    MY NAME IS LOKESHREDDY FROM INDIA.
    SUBJECT:NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD TORRENT FILES FROM TORRENT SOFTWARES BECAUSE OF BLOCKING TRACKERS AND SITES OF TORRENTS BY OUR ISP IN INDIA….
    THE MAJOR PROBLEM IN INDIA IS BLOCKING ALL TORRENT TRACKERS AND SITES RELATED TO TORRENTS.HOW EVER I CAN ACCESS BLOCKED TORRENT SITES FROM http://www.blockedsites.net/ AND I CAN DOWNALOD .TORRENT FILES BUT THE PROBLEM IS NOT ABLE TO DOWNALOD TORRENT FILES DATA….WHEN I AM SEEING INFO IN UTORRENT IT IS SHOWING THAT ACCESS IS DENIED…I CONTACTED MY ISP….HE SAID THAT DOT(DEPARTMENT OF TELECOM) HAD BLOCKED THE TRACKERS…..
    HOW TO DOWNLOAD TORRENTS THOUGH ISP BLOCKED TRACKERS…..
    PLEASE SUGGEST ME THE BETTER SOFTWARE FOR DOWNALODING TORRENTS THOUGH ISP BLOCKED TRACKERS……………..
    NO ONE CAN STOP DOWNLOADING TORRENTS…………………………………………….
    PLEASE FRIENDS HELP ME

14. vikram June 6, 2012 at 1:01 am #

dude i am not able able to download Xunlei it is asking sone user name and password ………… pls help

15. purchase settlements June 7, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

Thanks for the tutorial I had an issue with this over the weekend.

16. p90x April 5, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Some good tips here. I think that the Https Proxy idea works more often than not. I would think this would be especially true for smaller ISP companies.

1. Xunlei Thunder – Fast and Efficient Download Manager With BitTorrent Support - January 7, 2010

[...] had mentioned Xunlei Thunder in one of my earlier posts (Six Ways to Bypass Torrent Connection Blocking and Throttling).I had stated that, “Xunlei is faster than most other popular torrent clients like uTorrent [...]

More in Tips and Tricks (24 of 28 articles)